Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The Iron Princess

The Iron Princess by Sandra Lake   
  • Print Length: 252 pages   
  • Publisher: InterMix (June 16, 2015)
  • Publication Date: June 16, 2015
  • Sold by: Penguin Group (USA) LLC
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B00JV124Q2

A Sons of the North Romance novel from Sandra Lake, author of The Warlord’s Wife, who takes readers to 12th-century Scandinavia where two hearts clash in furious passion…

The daughter of a Northern warlord, Katia is known as the Iron Princess for her mettle in battle. Headstrong and defiant, she instigates sword duels on a whim with little regard for her own safety. Katia would rather die on her feet as a warrior than live as a token wife and child bearer for a husband who keeps her castled as if she were a prisoner.

Lothair is the illegitimate son of the Duke of Saxony, who was granted the title of baron, a castle and lands. Raised in an atmosphere of mistrust and deceit, he rejects the concept of husbandry and wants a life of purpose and sacrifice in the pursuit of security for the Baltic Sea.

And when fate brings the Iron Princess and reluctant baron together, Katia and Lothair discover they are kindred spirits with fiery temperaments—and insatiable desires—to match…   

*****

Katia - She's a fierce heroine, who often times thinks a few steps ahead of herself without thinking of the danger she puts herself or others in.She was a bit too fearless and had a huge hero complex. She wouldn't be satisfied until she saved the world. She ended up being a damsel in distress more times than she should have, but she entertained me. Like stories with "Anne Boleyn," she was a woman before her time. She had ideas of equality and refused to keep her mouth shut when it was for the best. I suppose if I were born back then, I would have been like that too. A bit less dimwitted though.

Lothair - He can be my hero any day. He had all the characteristics of the man you want to read about in a romance novel. He was hot in the bedroom, tough in battle, brave, charming and a little mysterious. He was a highborn bastard, and struggled with the idea of it, which made him very human. I fell in love with him, and at times felt sorry for him that he had to keep saving his heroine from the stupid ideas that were in her pretty little head. But he did it gracefully. A real virile man, and suited perfectly for the era of the book.

I would like to read a book about his father. He sounded like a very interesting man, and handsome too. 

Plot - From the moment I started to read this book it kept me interested, and turning pages. It was very suspenseful. Each scene was well paced, and the author kept them coming. Even toward the end of the book, she pulled out a few more conflicts that may have made the book feel a little too dense, but overall, I think she pulled it off. I was satisfied with the ending, and closed the book smiling. 

I liked all of her characters well except for the ones I wasn't suppose to. One scene in particular made my stomach churn, but I thought it was well played by Katia. Without spoiling it for others, I will just use the words, "chicken bones" and you will understand after you read it. ;)

The cover is beautiful. I'm quite happy the person who designed it tried to cover the horned helmet. LOL! I have a thing about that. If you are a Viking fan you will get what I mean. 

This book was given as a copy to review by NetGalley, my review is written with honesty and without any ties to the author. I did not receive any monetary gain from doing so.


No comments:

Post a Comment