Monday, December 1, 2014

The Temperate Warrior (The Warrior Sagas Book 1)

The Temperate Warrior (The Warrior Sagas Book 1) 
by Renee Vincent
Series: The Warrior Sagas
Paperback: 240 pages
Publisher: Turquoise Morning Press (January 29, 2013)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1622371208

The Warrior Sagas, Book One He was her champion. She was his weakness. Together, they loved with wild abandon. Gustaf Ræliksen lives by the blade of his sword. After avenging his father’s murder and reuniting with his family, he wants nothing more than to settle down and have sons of his own. Only one woman will do—a fiery redhead he saved from the spoils of war. No longer forced to warm the beds of the men who’ve taken everything from her, Æsa has nothing to offer the noble warrior but her heart. When someone with a deep score to settle seeks revenge upon her, Gustaf’s world is torn asunder. He has but one vow—saving the woman he loves from the ignorant fool who dared to best the temperate warrior.

Gustaf is the brother of  Dægan in book 1 of Renee's Emerald Isle Trilogy. Being that I fell hopelessly in love with Dægan in that series, I had to read this book so that I could also get to know his brother Gustaf. I was glad that I did. They have quite different personalities, yet they are both strong, witty vikings who have a lusty hold on the readers imagination. 

Gustaf isn't as tactical in battle scenes as Dægan, but he made up for it in other areas, especially in the bed. He wasn't so poetic with his words, and more rough around the edges than Dægan, but he loved Æsa deeply and this brought realism to his character. 

Æsa wasn't always as fierce and fiery as I would have liked her to be, but given her background in the story, I can see how she would become submissive without much thought. I liked that she was alluring and seductive, and didn't have much trouble expressing her sexuality with Gustaf. I think that this dynamic between the two of them made for a wonderful story, and did pull at my heart strings a couple of times. Her character improves a great deal toward the middle of the book, as her insecurities started to fall to the wayside. It was less annoying to have her more secure with herself. At first it seemed like she would submit to a kitten if it meowed at her. 

I truly enjoyed Halldora, an older woman in the book who makes her entry in the middle of the story. She was a healer, a seer and a witch. Being that she could read the peoples' thoughts around her, it made for a few laughs. 

Gustaf's men were not as memorable as they could have been, but Oyven was quite enjoyable. I think that the author introduces enough characters in these books that if she chose to, would not run out of books to write for many months to come. She could easily create books with these others as heroes and heroines. I was delighted when Dægan's friends: Tait and Nevan came back into the story. I would even encourage the author to write a series based on each of them, as they were quite favorable. :)

The plots were adequate enough, even though predictable. They did keep me interested and moving forward through the pages. 

**Spoiler**

I think that it would have been an inspirational ending to have had Æsa give birth on the shoreline where Dægan had taken his last breaths, and Gustaf to have named his son after his brother that he so admired. In fact, as she was in labor on the ship, I totally thought that was going to happen, and it propelled me forward in anticipation. I even got tears in my eyes at the idea of it. Having Tait and Nevan at her side reliving the death of their dear friend; Dægan , yet rejoicing in the moment of his nephew's birth. It would have grabbed my heart and squeezed it with a precious warmth offering the possibility that his name would also be followed by his spirit in a reincarnated state. 

Since that didn't happen, I felt a little bit let down by the true ending. It was a happy ending, but not as emotional as I longed for. And again, being that I am a Pagan, having a viking warrior convert to a Christian in the end made me feel uneasy. Even more so that he was basically forced to convert as to get what he needed and wanted.  

Renee is a talented writer, and even when prowling other viking books to read, none grab my attention as much as hers. I think I would always pick her writing over another's just because she created Dægan. 




No comments:

Post a Comment