Friday, November 21, 2014

Texas Blaze (The Wrong Bed Book 49)

Texas Blaze (The Wrong Bed Book 49)  
by Debbi Rawlins
Print Length 224 pages
Publisher: Harlequin Blaze (Dec. 1, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0373365527

Kate Manning's "blast from the past" has blown back to her quiet west Texas town. Mitch Colter was once the sum of all Kate's fantasies. But he was a few years older and her brothers' best friend, and her fantasies stayed exactly that. Now however, Kate's got seduction in mind and a point to prove: she won't miss out on Mitch a second time.

Mitch can't believe the woman his "little Katie" has become. She's beautiful, has a body that gives him all kinds of naughty ideas and, best of all, she's lost none of her fiery spirit and take-no-prisoners sense of humor. So, when Kate comes a-calling--he can't resist--and won't! But will their luck be better the second time around?

The author does a pretty good job with the book, however I felt that it could have been better. For being a book in the 'Blaze' series, I had hoped for a lot more steamy tension. This book had promise, but it just didn't deliver for me. 

Kate's character was a described as being a fiery spirited woman, but I found her to be a little to immature and mostly unsure of herself. The author had her in scenes that just didn't go along with her personality type. I understand that Kate was trying to come out of her shell a little, but I was hoping for a bit more from her as promised in the book description. Not her trying on a few sexy dresses and bending over at a pool table as the peak of her flirtatious behavior. Also the things that she seemed to get upset about were so insignificant that they felt labored and outlandish. Her upsets were suppose to bring tension between the two characters, but failed terribly. 

I have little problem with Mitch, I liked him. He was well practiced in the art of charm. 

As far as plot goes, it sort of dragged on and on. I would have liked the author to use several different twists and turns. Basically the whole book was about catching cattle rustlers. I admit, I sure would like to be trapped in a room doing surveillance with Mitch myself, but the sexual tension between the two wasn't heavy enough. I became bored half way through the book. 

The ending was just 'okay.' Nothing spectacular. It was a happy ending, and left me feeling semi satisfied, but no wrenching in my heart like a good romance novel should.

The author does use proper grammar and she doesn't over use words like some do. If I were to give constructive criticism, I would tell her to work on her plots more and not to rush sex scenes. In romance, the most important part is to grow sexual tension between the characters, but to do this, realistic conflict is needed. Having Mitch worried about what her brothers would say is reasonable to use as conflict, but it seems to be the only conflict used. We get it, Kate's not a little girl anymore.

The switch between character views is subtle and smooth, and I liked how capital letters in the first few words helped the reader to distinguish this change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment