Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Ræliksen: Book One of the Emerald Isle Trilogy

Ræliksen: Book One of the Emerald Isle Trilogy 
by Renee Vincent
Paperback: 374 pages
Publisher: Turquoise Morning Press (July 30, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1935817019

This book gripped me from the very first page, and I can not say that about very many others.

It starts at the Shannon river in Ireland where a handsome viking is secretly watching the object of his affection. He has his whole life planned before him and she is to be his wife, yet he has yet to introduce himself. How primitive, but intriguing. His name is Dægan Ræliksen and he will from this day forth be carried in my heart and I know already how hard it will be for me to find another character who will match him in his wits and charm. This was my first viking romance novel, and I am quite happy to have shared the experience with him. :)

The twists and turns in the plot kept me propelling forward and each quite unpredictable. It only took me two days to read. I kept watching the page numbers fly by thinking that I didn't want it to end but it would to my disappointment. The action scenes were far better than anything on television, and what I enjoyed most about this book wasn't just the steamy love scenes, but that of all of the characters who played a role. It is the first time that an author has not only made the hero and heroine likable, but every character that took part on the pages were funny and well rounded. I caught myself laughing various times and crying at others. Each character moved me in their own way and I find them unforgettable. 

Mara, the object of affection was brave and noble. She was everything a heroine should be in a book, and even though the books life span was only that of two week, I could tell that she truly loved Dægan with all of her heart, and that their love would span through many lifetimes thereafter. 

Dægan's friends all devoted their lives to him and hung on his every word. They were more like his brothers than just his comrades. Nevan was also an endearing character that genuinely captured a piece of my heart. He is kind, intelligent, and his loyalties to Dægan make him very likable. Nevan is a king and it shows in his actions and words, yet his generosity firmly roots him to the ground like any common man. I think I liked that best about him. He gave fatherly advice to Dægan and allowed him his temper tantrums without judgment. They each had understanding of one another even with very little conversation between them. One Christian, the other Pagan. Two men from two different faiths, yet together as one unmissable force.

One particularly memorable conversation from the book between two characters describes Dægan perfectly letting you know the hold that Dægan has with everyone he comes into contact with: 

"I swear Dægan could convince a bird its wings are more suitable for swimming in the sea if he so wanted." 

That was Dægan's friend Tait describing him to Nevan, and as I wiped away tears, that very sentence made me laugh again. This book was a bit of an emotional roller coaster for me, and that is the exact ingredient, in my opinion, that makes for a wonderful romance novel. 

The ending of the book is not so satisfying because the author is paving the way for the second book in the series. I would have much preferred Dægan & Mara's story to continue on, but sadly it doesn't. I sobbed like a baby. 

Reading the reviews on amazon for the second book in the series, I was much disappointed with so many spoilers, that I do not think I can bring myself to read the second book now. Not only that but I have a very hard time with the idea of Mara with another man. I prefer keeping a memory of just her with Dægan. But that is just me.

I will however read the third book in the series because it gives the promise of a reunion between the two souls & that for me is grand. 

The only thing that I didn't like about this book is that Christianity seemed to play a bigger role than I would have liked to have seen. I am a Pagan and it was hard to see that Christianity was cast in a much brighter vision than that of my ancestors. However, giving the fact that Dægan found eternal peace in the end, I can find it less offensive. I understand that it adds to the books historical integrity, and religion played a much bigger role then than it does now. At a time when death was inevitable and war so monumental, it was the person's soul that was mostly feared for. One never knew when they would draw their last breath and it was important that they lived their lives according to the laws of whichever God they served and that their faith remained unwavering.

Beautiful story, and well written. I would highly recommend at least this first book. 




No comments:

Post a Comment