Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The Defiant Heart

The Defiant Heart (Heart Series, Book 2)
by Kathleen Kirkwood  
Print Length: 374 pages
  • Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
  • Publisher: ByDand Publishing (June 12, 2013)
  • Publication Date: June 12, 2013
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B00DDU23HC

A maiden of Ireland enslaved . . . 
Seized during a brutal attack on her homeland, Ailinn vows to remain forever defiant against her Norse captors, no matter the future that awaits her—or the handsome Dane with snow-bright hair who suddenly appears in her life. 

A shining warrior of the North . . . 
When Lyting Atlison encounters the autumn-fire beauty in shackles, he vows to free her. Discovering the fate his kinsmen intend for the maid, he undertakes a private mission in order to join the fleet that will bear her to distant lands. 

Now as the Norse host sets sail for the lands of the Rus and the glittering courts of Byzantium, untold perils await . . . as does a journey of passion and discovery . . . and a love no chains can bind.

***
Lyting is back! I was so incredibly excited to read more about Lyting, and have him as the hero of this book. He captivated me in book one, and again in book two. He is so honorable and deserving to find love. He is the picture perfect Viking in my whirling dreams. He is very masculine, and clever as a fox. Although covered in the harshness of his environment, he is still gentle and kind to the people that he loves. He melted my heart with his care toward protecting his kin, as well as the woman that he loves. Keep in mind he is a Christian man, so he does hold back his passions for as long as possible. 

Ailinn is a lovely character. She is very likable. Although a bit timid, she has spirit. If I were to describe her in one word, I would probably say she is "sweet." I can see why Lyting took notice of her. 

Rihannan - I would have liked to have smacked that girl, and hard. But every story needs a bad girl, right? She is Ailinn's stepcousin. 

Deira - Oh, goodness, that poor girl. Her nervousness made me want to curl up in a ball and rock back and forth myself! She is the other stepcousin to Ailinn. 

I chose to read this book because Lyting was the hero. I read the first book with his brother as the hero and really thought Lyting himself would play a captivating lead role, and he did. 

The first book had me raging in fits at the end of it. You can read more here. But after I simmered for about a year, filling my time reading a bunch of other books of similar genre, I was more than willing to come back to this author for a second chance. 

The truth is, Kathleen is truly brilliant with coming up with plots. She fills every page with marvelous detail and action. Her characters are well rounded, and easy to relate to on a personal level. 

Almost every book that I read after Valiant Heart, left me with an unfilled desire to find another book that would provoke such deep emotions in me. The others were just flat. I read them, reviewed them, and didn't think about them again. But Valiant Heart stayed with me. So too will Defiant Heart. 

What I like better with this second book is that it didn't actually rip my heart from my chest and leave me sobbing uncontrollably, then patch me back up only to do it again and again. This one actually let me feel just the right amount of attachment & turmoil without over doing it. I was very pleased for that.

I will warn you that Kathleen's writing will keep your attention up until the very last page. She has a way of letting you think the ending is near, and then throwing in another surprise or two. 

Only one small issue I have with the book, but I got used to it quickly is the jumping from a present moment into a past moment. I can see why it is necessary, but she gives little warning that it's going to happen. It might throw you off a bit if you aren't used to it. 

The plot was well thought out. The history very well researched. The ending, satisfying. There is a third book in the series that I will be adding to my list.

I did get overwhelmed with emotion once, but only once. And that's okay with me. :)

I highly recommend this book, and this author. It truly beats some of the quick self-published garbage that is being marketed these days in the Viking Romance genre. It has 366 pages of excellence.



No comments:

Post a Comment